The Children's Hospital at Providence
Saturday, August 18, 2018
Healthy Heroes Warmup -- 9:30 AM
Kids' 2K -- 10:00 AM
About the Kids' 2K
Thanks to the sponsorship of The Children's Hospital at Providence (TCHAP) and the generous support of Healthy Futures Alaska, the TCHAP Kids' 2K is free to any child who wants to participate! In 2018, more than 700 kids registered for this event.
One of the goals of ARF and Healthy Futures Alaska is to create more opportunities for kids to be active through play and exercise and to teach them healthy life skills that will stick with them into adulthood. 2018 will be the seventh year the Kids' 2K is held on its own day.
For a bit of this event's flavor, check out the cool video of the Kids' 2K made by Matt Waliszek! It features our local Healthy Heroes, including Kikkan Randall, and hundreds of kiddos.
Course, Warmup, Start, Finish
CHAP Kids' 2K (about 1.2 miles) is a no-pressure fun run held on and immediately adjacent to the Delaney Parkstrip's uninterrupted grassy block between E and I Streets (one block south of the Dena'ina Civic and Convention Center). The start area is on 9th Avenue at its intersection with G Street. The finish is on the Park Strip grass (near F Street). The pre-race warm-up led by Anchorage's Healthy Heroes (local elite athletes) starts at 9:30 AM and the fun run begins at 10:00 AM. Our Healthy Heroes guide the runners around the course.
Healthy Heroes leading the 2017 warmup were:
- Ellyn Brown: Master athlete
- Andrew Kurka: 2017 World Champion paralympic skier
- Scott Patterson: National Champion cross country skier, 2017 Supertour Overall Title
- Becca Rorabaugh: National Champion cross country skier
- Amber Stull: multiple winner of the Gold Nugget Triathlon, elite cyclist
Although the event is free, all participants must register and receive their bibs before the start of the race. Parents can register their children online or in person at the Health and Fitness Expo. Donations are welcome to help defray the costs of putting on this event. Parents are welcome to run with their kids but need not register. Children must be 12 years of age or younger to participate.
- Running hat
- Finisher's medal (received at the finish line on Saturday)
- Food and fun at the finish line
After the Race
Stick around after the race! Anchorage RunFest has a host of fun activities which take place immediately following the Kids' 2K. They are:
- Family Health and Safety Day -- an opportunity to meet the Healthy Heroes, learn more about sports and after school activities available to children and adults in Anchorage, and learn about safety issues in our everyday lives. Read more.
- The Anchorage Mile-- a sprint race circling the park strip. Watch Anchorage's fastest racers!
- The Military Mile -- a sprint race between the six branches of our active military. Stay to cheer on our local heroes!
- Anchorage RunFest Health and Fitness Expo -- often held in the Dena'ina Center, 600 West Seventh Avenue, from 9:00 AM till 4:00 PM - a host of vendors bringing their best products to the running community.